Florida leaders on Saturday reacted to a joint operation by the U.S. and Israel that led to a major attack on Iran.
Following the attack, U.S. President Donald Trump called on the Iranian people to “seize control of your destiny” by rising up against the Islamic leadership that has ruled the nation since 1979. Iran retaliated by launching missiles and drones toward Israel and U.S. military bases in the region.
Some of the first strikes appeared to hit areas around the offices of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and Iranian media reported strikes nationwide, and smoke could be seen rising from the capital. It wasn’t immediately clear whether the 86-year-old leader was in his offices at the time of the strike.
Congressman Mario Díaz-Balart released the following statement:
“For nearly five decades, Iranians have endured repression, violence, and torture at the hands of the evil Iranian regime–a regime that exports terrorism, brutally suppresses dissent at home, and openly threatens the United States and our allies.
I commend President Donald Trump for standing in solidarity with the brave Iranian people, who continue to demand freedom, dignity, and basic human rights despite ruthless crackdowns. Hundreds of protesters have been killed simply for exercising those rights.
Americans and the world are safer because of President Trump’s leadershipand maximum pressure strategy, including the removal of terrorist Qasem Soleimani and last year’s decisive action to obliterate Iran’s nuclear sites–demonstrating that deterrence and strength, not appeasement, will lead to a safer and more secure future for all.”
Miami-Dade County Tax Collector Dariel Fernandez released a statement that reads in part:
“Iran remains the world’s top sponsor of terrorism. Its regime has funded violent extremists, targeted the U.S. and Israel, and worked to weaken global stability. We’ve seen that same threat reach into our own backyard, with the communist dictatorships in Cuba and Venezuela partnering with Iran’s terrorist networks to spread chaos in our hemisphere. That’s why strength and moral clarity from Washington are so critical they defend not just world peace, but the freedom and security of our neighbors right here in the Americas.”
U.S. Rep. Carlos A. Gimenez on X posted an image of a gravestone that had “Islamic Republic 1979-2026” written on it, and posted the following statement on X:
“Whether it’s #Hamas in the Middle East, Maduro regime in #Venezuela, Castro regime in #Cuba, and the Ayatollah in #Iran, Trump has led decisively while other leaders faltered!”
Congresswoman María Elvira Salaza posted a statement on X that reads in part:
“Our actions against the Iranian regime have been decisive and necessary to protect American lives and our national security. We are dismantling their nuclear program, crippling their ballistic missile capabilities, and holding accountable those who for decades chanted ‘Death to America’ and butchered more than 30,000 brave Iranians just one month ago. A regime like that has no legitimacy.”
Our actions against the Iranian regime have been decisive and necessary to protect American lives and our national security. We are dismantling their nuclear program, crippling their ballistic missile capabilities, and holding accountable those who for decades chanted “Death to…
— María Elvira Salazar 🇺🇸 (@MaElviraSalazar) February 28, 2026
Due to the ongoing developments in the Middle East, Miami Beach Police said they are monitoring the situation and said there are no known credible threats locally.
There will be an increased law enforcement presence at synagogues, schools, and other key locations citywide.
//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js
Discover more from USA NEWS
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.