Two people are hurt and a shooter is dead after the gunman opened fire at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia, on Thursday morning, school officials say.
“Shortly before 10:49 a.m., a gunman in Constant Hall opened fire. Two people were injured. Old Dominion University Police, Norfolk Police and emergency personnel responded immediately. The gunman is now deceased. The injured were transported to a local hospital,” an emergency alert on the school website says.
School officials issued an alert at 10:48 a.m. They warned that an “active threat” had been reported in Constant Hall and said to follow “run-hide-fight protocols.” In an update at 11:30 a.m., they described the emergency as “an active shooter situation in which the shooter has been neutralized.”
No information was immediately released on the extent of the victims’ injuries or who killed the shooter.
The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said they have agents on the scene.
All classes are canceled for the rest of Thursday. School officials issued an all-clear, said there is no active threat and asked people to avoid Constant Hall as the investigation continues. An update is expected soon.
The Associated Press contributed reporting.
Stay with NBC Washington for more details on this developing story.
News4 sends breaking news stories by email. Go here to sign up to get breaking news alerts in your inbox.
Discover more from USA NEWS
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.