On Sunday, U.S. Central Command said seven American service members have been killed since the start of the campaign against Iran, with the troops dying in retaliatory strikes targeting U.S. forces in the region. The Pentagon said the remains of two previously unaccounted-for service members were recently recovered following earlier attacks on a facility housing American forces, and the latest fatality was seriously injured in Saudi Arabia during an Iranian strike in the region and has now died of their injuries.
CENTCOM Update
TAMPA, Fla. – Last night, a U.S. service member passed away from injuries received during the Iranian regime’s initial attacks across the Middle East. The service member was seriously wounded at the scene of an attack on U.S. troops in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia…
— U.S. Central Command (@CENTCOM) March 8, 2026
The fatalities mark the first confirmed U.S. deaths of the conflict, which began late last month when American and Israeli forces launched a sweeping bombing campaign targeting Iranian military and nuclear infrastructure.
Meanwhile, fighting intensified across the region over the weekend as Israeli strikes hit multiple sites inside Iran, including fuel depots and oil facilities around Tehran, sending thick smoke over parts of the capital. Iranian forces responded with waves of missile and drone attacks targeting Israel as well as U.S. positions and regional allies in the Gulf, further raising fears the conflict could widen.
At the same time, Iran’s clerical leadership is preparing to select a successor to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, who was reportedly killed in Israeli strikes during the opening days of the war.
Several reports suggested the leading contender is Mojtaba Khamenei, the slain leader’s son and a powerful figure within Iran’s ruling clerical establishment, though Iranian officials have not formally confirmed the choice.
The succession battle has already drawn sharp warnings from Israel, which said it would target anyone who assumes the position if attacks against Israel continue. Israeli officials have warned that the next supreme leader “will not be safe” if the country continues directing strikes against Israel and its allies.
Start your day with essential news from Salon.
Sign up for our free morning newsletter, Crash Course.
President Donald Trump has also weighed in on the issue, suggesting the United States should have a role in determining Iran’s next leader and warning that any successor could face devastating consequences if hostilities continue.
The competing claims underscore the chaotic power struggle now unfolding inside Iran as the conflict enters its second week, raising fears that the leadership transition — combined with ongoing strikes and retaliatory attacks — could further escalate the war across the Middle East.
.
Read more
about this topic
//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js
let siteUrl="https://www.salon.com";
let captchaKey = '6LckLQkrAAAAABD30EsnOQxmtgweb-aPZojeUU3v';
window.fbAsyncInit = function() {
FB.init({
appId : '134091381200152',
cookie : true,
xfbml : true,
version : 'v21.0'
});
FB.AppEvents.logPageView();
};
(function(d, s, id){
var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];
if (d.getElementById(id)) {return;}
js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
js.src = "https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js";
fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);
}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));
Discover more from USA NEWS
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.